What is an asbestos survey?12 February 2020
What is an asbestos survey?
An asbestos survey is a survey that assesses if materials, typically in domestic or commercial properties (but can also include soils or other man-made containers such as ships, oil rigs, and utility facilities) contain asbestos-containing materials.
A ‘material assessment’ is required to:
- Find an asbestos-containing material (ACM) and record what it is, where it is and how much there is
- Record how accessible it is, its condition, and any surface treatment
- Record the asbestos type, by sampling and analysis, or by presuming
Do I need an asbestos survey?
Any building, domestic or commercial, in the UK built prior to the year 2000 may contain asbestos. Asbestos can remain in a building and be managed in-situ. Asbestos only becomes a problem once it’s disturbed, and asbestos fibres become airborne. Using preventative measures to control the risks of exposure to asbestos dust will protect against related illness and fatal diseases and will be the first step, as the duty holder, to achieving compliance.
What type of asbestos survey do I need?
There are 4 different types of asbestos survey available:
1. Asbestos Management Survey - previously known as a type 2 asbestos survey, this survey is a minimum requirement for all non-domestic premises. It identifies all of the asbestos-containing materials (ACM) that could potentially be disturbed during the normal occupancy of the building.
2. Asbestos Re-Inspection Survey - for this type of survey to be undertaken an existing asbestos survey or asbestos register should be in place. Re-inspection asbestos surveys are designed to allow a competent person to monitor and record the condition of any previously identified asbestos products within a building.
3. Asbestos Pre Refurbishment Survey - previously known as a type 3 asbestos survey this survey is required when specific plans of refurbishment or modernisation works are given to the asbestos surveyor. This survey, unlike the asbestos management survey, is intrusive and requires access to all areas of the building.
4. Pre Demolition Asbestos Survey - this asbestos survey identifies all possible ACMs within the building/area.
With Lucion, when you acquire a commercial property asbestos survey, you will also receive an up to date, live, asbestos register as well as free access to our certified, compliance management software system, NexGen.
Need help mapping out your asbestos management plan? Get in touch with our asbestos management team and start your journey to compliance today:
T: 0345 5040 303
Asbestos Removal Timeline
Want to know what is involved in an Asbestos Abatement project? From asbestos survey through to 4 stage clearance certification, find out what's involved with this step by step guide to Asbestos Abatement.
Download From NexGen
Asbestos Management Plan: 12 Step Checklist
Struggling to get started with your Asbestos Management Plan? Download our free 12 step AMP Checklist Guide and take the first step to safeguard your teams, contractors, and reputation.
No Sign-Up Required
Tool Box Talk: Asbestos Awareness
As part of Lucion’s Take Care Be Aware initiative, we actively take care of our health and safety responsibilities, with continuous awareness of our commitments to knowledge share and educate.
In doing so we have created a ‘toolbox talk’ on asbestos awareness to raise awareness of the hazards associated with asbestos-containing materials, enabling safety professionals to share knowledge and overall save the time and effort in producing them for you and your teams.
Download From NexGen